Adirondack Chairs are the best outdoor furniture to decorate a pool or garden view home. You can never dislike the Adirondack Chairs. But deciding what type of Adirondack Chairs, Wood or Plastic, will be suitable for your home can be confusing.
So, What is the difference between Wood and Plastic Adirondack Chairs? The main difference between Wooden Adirondack Chairs and Plastic ones is price, maintenance, and durability. Even though Wooden Adirondack Chairs are less expensive, they are not as weather-resistant as Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
Choosing from two or more options can be confusing. For example, what color Adirondack Chairs to buy? Will the wooden Adirondack Chairs be suitable for the garden view home or the Plastic one?
Nothing to worry about! I will provide both the good and bad sides of using wood and plastic Adirondack Chairs. I will also compare both of them side by side for better understanding.
So, let’s get started.
Wooden Adirondack Chairs
Well, Wood Adirondack Chairs are the origin of Adirondack Chairs. Wooden Adirondack Chairs are typically strong and add a sophisticated appearance to the overall environment.
You can paint the Wooden Adirondack Chairs at your home and make them vibrant. It effectively helps to resist the changing weather, the sun, rain, and snow.
If you properly maintain the Wooden Adirondack Chairs properly, you can definitely make them last longer.
Wooden Adirondack Chairs, initially known as Westport Chairs, mostly have weather-resisting quality.
If you have some old Wooden Adirondack Chairs, you can apply some stain & sealant to make them weather-proof. Trust me, and it will help a lot.
Then again, if you are confused about how to weather-proof your Wood Adirondack Chairs, check out this article on weather-proofing your existing Adirondack Chairs just by implementing seven easy steps.
Now, let us discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using Wooden Adirondack Chairs.
Pros Of Wooden Adirondack Chairs
Wood Adirondack Chairs carry lots of unique features that most other Adirondack Chairs do not have. Let me mention the benefits of using Wood Adirondack Chairs;
- More Elegant: Wooden Adirondack Chairs look sophisticated and change the overall environment. That is, variety-colored Wooden Adirondack Chairs will lift up the mood.
- Lasts Longer: Wood Adirondack Chairs are more robust, and they mostly last longer with proper maintenance.
- Painting is Easy: Painting the Wood Adirondack Chairs is pretty easy; you can paint them in any color you want.
- More Premium: Unlike other materials, Wood Adirondack Chairs have some specific texture, making the chairs more elegant.
Cons Of Using Wooden Adirondack Chairs
Wooden Adirondack Chairs also have some bad sides, which can be troublesome if you do not properly care for them.
Let me list down all the disadvantages of Wooden Adirondack Chairs;
- Can be Expensive: Adirondack Chairs that are made of acacia and teak wood can be expensive ones in the Wooden Adirondack Chair family. Depending on the type of wood, the price can go up.
- Less Weather Resistance: Many Wood Adirondack Chairs do not have weather-protected layers.
- More Prone To Damages: The tendency of getting damaged is higher when kept outside. The sun, rain, and snow can do serious damage to the Wooden Adirondack Chairs. Also, insects can attack Wood Adirondack Chairs and cause damage.
- Color fades Easily: When you keep the Wood Adirondack Chairs outside, the original color of the chairs starts to fade away.
- Requires Proper Maintenance: Wood Adirondack Chairs require proper maintenance, regular staining, and weather-proofing so that they stay damage-free.
- More Heavier: Wood Adirondack Chairs are heavier than most other kinds of Adirondack Chairs.
- Not Weatherproof: Changing weather can be a reason to get cracked or mildews in the Adirondack Chairs made of Woods.
Plastic Adirondack Chairs
Plastic Adirondack chairs are available in various sizes and shapes, and you will find them in almost every color, and the color does not fade away.
They are pretty light weighted and can be moved easily. They can be kept outside for a long period of time without harming the material. They can bear the torture of rain and heat.
The maintenance of the Plastic Adirondack Chair is pretty easy and does not need expensive products to clean them. The trouble of repainting or weather-proofing is not required for the Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
Pros Of Using Plastic Adirondack Chairs
Plastic hampers our environment. That’s why people try to avoid it. But if you are also against plastic materials, you can use the Plastic Adirondack Chairs, which are manufactured using recycled Plastic.
In addition to that, Plastic Adirondack Chairs offer plenty of benefits to the user; check the provided list.
- Vibrant Colors: Plastic Adirondack Chairs are available in various shapes and sizes that can be found in various colors.
- Less Maintenance: The Plastic Adirondack Chairs do not require a detailed maintenance process. They are easy to clean.
- Weather Resistant: The Plastic Adirondack Chairs stay uptight even in the rainy season, winter, or summer days.
- More Durable: The chances of getting cracks it less in Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
- Bug Resistant: Insects hardly attack Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
- Color does not Fade Away: The appearance and color of the Adirondack Chairs made of Plastic rarely fade away.
- Light-weight: The Plastic Adirondack Chairs are light-weighted, and most of the time, they are foldable; that is why caring for them from one place to another is an easy job to accomplish.
Before moving on to the conclusion, check out the disadvantages of Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
Cons Of Using Plastic Adirondack Chairs
Although Plastic Adirondack Chairs seem a preferable choice, they also carry some drawbacks. Let me list down all the drawbacks of Plastic Adirondack Chairs;
- Usually Expensive: Plastic Adirondack Chairs are expensive. However, you can always buy good-quality second-hand Plastic Adirondack Chairs at a reasonable price.
- Heavy: Plastic Adirondack Chairs weigh around 7 to 8 lbs. As a result, the Adirondack Chairs can get blown away when heavy wind arises.
- Looks Cheap: Although Plastic Adirondack Chairs are expensive, they do not look classy at all. So, if you want to maintain a high-class image, you might skip buying Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
- Not 100% Weather Resistant: Although the weather does not affect the Plastic Adirondack Chairs, it can leave a long-time effect on the chairs. Harsh weather effects can lead the Plastic Adirondack Chairs to decrease the weight limit.
- Can’t Tolerate Excessive Heat: Plastic Adirondack Chairs are prone to catch fire or melt if there is the presence of fire nearby.
Recommended Article – How To Protect Adirondack Chair Legs?
Comparison Between Wood And Plastic Adirondack Chairs
Till now, we have been analyzing both types of Adirondack Chairs separately. Let us move forward and compare them side-by-side so that you have a clear understanding.
Adirondack Chairs are mostly placed outdoors; as a result, they will require more care and maintenance. That is, it is not only about the chairs but the wind, rain, or snow can cover the Adirondack Chairs, accordingly, they need to be cleared instantly.
However, when it comes to Wooden Adirondack Chairs, you need to apply stain and sealant regularly, and proper maintenance procedures should be taken. Then again, wooden chairs are prone to catching insects or mildews.
Therefore, you need to take proper care of Wooden Adirondack Chairs so that neither weather nor insects should damage them.
On the other hand, Plastic Adirondack Chairs are not that sensitive to weather and do not need regular maintenance. You can just use a damp cloth to wipe off the surface of the Plastic Adirondack Chairs.
In addition to that, you do not have to worry about the regular application of sealant or stain. However, if you belong to an area where the weather changes more often, you should not keep the Wooden Adirondack Chairs outside.
As it stays hot during the daytime and cold during the night, the Plastic Adirondack Chairs can get snapped and become risky to sit on.
Summary – In this category, Plastic Adirondack Chairs are the winner. But the result can differ according to your preferences.
Build Quality & Durability
The Wooden Adirondack Chairs are more robust than Plastic Adirondack Chairs when it comes to building quality. Unlike Plastic Adirondack Chairs, Wooden Adirondack Chairs can go through heavy use.
Moreover, the Wooden Adirondack Chairs will last for years if you properly complete the maintenance process.
Even though Plastic Adirondack Chairs do not require a heavy maintenance process, they do not last long. I even doubt they will not get cracked or broken easily.
However, With no care, plastic Adirondack chairs might last longer than wooden ones if both chairs are left outside during extreme weather conditions and rain for a long time.
Summary – In terms of build quality and durability, the Wooden Adirondack Chairs are the clear winner.
Design & Comfort
Well, undoubtedly, both Wooden and Plastic Adirondack Chairs look amazing in certain ways.
You will find Plastic Adirondack Chairs in different patterns, sizes, and styles. You will have a variety of options to choose from. Nonetheless, when it comes to adding a sophisticated appearance, Plastic Adirondack Chairs will not add up to that.
Wooden Adirondack Chairs will be the best fit for you when you want to add a classy look to your backward.
On the other hand, in terms of comfort, both the chairs will give a similar level of comfort. Nonetheless, you increase the level of comfort by adding some accessories to it like blankets or pillows.
Summary – For design and comfort level, both the chairs will certainly get an equal score, so it is a tie.
Size & Weight Capacity
When considering the size of Adirondack Chairs, let me tell you that their average dimension includes 35 to 42 inches in height, 30 to 35 inches in width, and the depth falls between 35 to 39 inches.
Each Adirondack Chairs can have separate dimensions, can it be Plastic or Wooden Adirondack Chairs. You need to check and find the suitable one for you.
When it comes to weight capacity, Plastic Adirondack Chairs can carry more weight than Wooden Adirondack Chairs. Check the provided table to know their exact weight capacity.
|Features||Wooden Adirondack Chairs||Plastic Adirondack Chairs|
|Weight Capacity||~250 – 270 lbs.||~250 – 350 lbs.|
Summary – In this category, the plastic Adirondack Chairs is the winner, as it can hold a lot more weight.
The average price of Wooden Adirondack Chairs falls within the range of $90 to $150 each. However, the price can go up and down depending on the type of wood and its quality.
Then again, the Plastic Adirondack Chairs usually cost from $100 to $300 each. Moreover, you can also buy them at a cheaper rate if you buy used ones.
Summary – Well, being the less costly one, definitely in this category Wooden Adirondack Chair is the winner.
Is A Wooden Adirondack Chair Better Than A Plastic Adirondack Chair?
To be honest, which one will be perfect for you, can vary as per your preference. For instance, Wooden Adirondack Chair will be perfect for you if you need good-quality & classy Adirondack Chairs and do have a constrained budget.
However, maintaining wooden Adirondack chairs is not easy for everyone.
So, if you want an Adirondack chair that requires less maintenance then you can go for a plastic Adirondack chair.
It’s true that plastic ones look cheap. But there are various types of plastic Adirondack chairs which are made of plastic material but look and feel like wood. Highwood, Polywood, HDPE, HIPS, PS materials would be good examples for such chairs.
Now the choice is yours, list out your preferences and then buy the appropriate one for you.
What Is The Best Material To Make Adirondack Chairs?
When it comes to choosing the best material for Adirondack Chairs, Teak wood is the best one. Well, Teak is a kind of wood or hard, durable timber.
Teak Adirondack Chairs are good at absorbing moisture and preventing any kind of cracking. It has its own protective sealant to keep it protected, even on the outside.
Can You Leave Plastic Adirondack Chairs Outside?
You can leave the Plastic Adirondack Chairs outside, but only for a short period of time. When you keep Plastic Adirondack Chairs outside during bad weather, it can damage the Adirondack Chairs.
No matter what, I recommend you cover it up when it is not being used or keep it in the storage room.
Can You Use Cedar For Adirondack Chairs?
Yes, you can use cedar for making Adirondack chairs. Cedar Adirondack Chairs are not only about beauty but also last for a longer period. It is resistant to incest or decay. That is, investment in Cedar Adirondack Chairs will definitely be worth it.
Well, being the king of outdoor furniture, your Adirondack Chairs should be suitable for your backyard. That is, your Patio Furniture should be capable of adapting to the changing weather.
When you are to decide if Cedar Adirondack Chairs will be suitable or not, let me tell you, Cedar Adirondack Chairs are beautiful and look great as they are made using natural materials.