I love Herman Miller office chairs. They have been the most durable chairs in the market for years. Have you ever wondered where Herman Miller chairs are made? If yes, this article is for you. I have researched on this topic for hours, and this is what I found!
Most Herman miller chairs are designed in the US and manufactured in China & UK. However, their flagship office chairs such as The Aeron, Cosm, Atlas, and Sayl are designed and manufactured at the Pearl River campus in the USA.
Herman Miller chairs are manufactured in the following places:
- Zeeland, Michigan, U.S
- Greater Bay Area in southern China
- Ningbo, China
- Portal-Mill in the United Kingdom
I dug out a lot of interesting information about the past and present of the giant chair-making company. If you want to know more about Herman Miller, keep reading!
A Little History:
- The company was founded in 1905, and it was known by the name Star Furniture Company.
- D. J. De Pree was hired as a clerk in 1909, and after a few years, he became the president of the company.
- D. J. Pree’s Father-in-Law, Herman Miller purchased the majority of shares of the Star Furniture Company, and it was renamed Herman Miller after his name.
- In 1970 Herman Miller went public and started selling shares to the public.
- Herman Miller’s website, www.hermanmiller.com, went live in 1995. Coincidentally in the same year, I was born as well. Haha
- In 2007 Herman Miller started manufacturing their chairs in China.
- Herman Miller introduced one of the most popular chairs in history, the Embody chair, in 2008. This chair was designed by Jeff Weber and Bill Stumpf.
- Finally, in 2016, Herman Miller opened the New York Flagship, which brought the company’s whole family of brands under a single roof for the first time in history. [Source]
Where are Herman Miller Aeron Chairs Made?
Herman Miller chair Aeron chairs are designed and manufactured at the Pearl River campus in the USA. However, Herman Miller has other manufacturing facilities around the globe where they build top-notch office furniture.
The Aeron chair is one of the high-end ergonomic chairs out there. Design and comfortability-wise this chair is assumed as a legendary chair.
Here’s a list of Herman Miller chairs that are manufactured in USA:
- Herman Miller Embody
- Herman Miller Aeron
- Herman Miller Sayl
- Herman Miller Cosm
- Herman Miller Atlas
Who Makes Herman Miller Chairs?
Herman Miller chairs are designed and manufactured by Herman Miller. They have manufacturing facilities around the world to make the smooth manufacturing process of top-notch office furniture.
Is Herman Miller made in China?
Most Herman Miller chairs are manufactured in China. As I have noted earlier, in 2007, Herman Miller established a factory to manufacture Ningbo, China and started manufacturing and distributing their products.
They started manufacturing in China as the manufacturing cost was lower due to available raw materials and cheap labor in China.
Later in 2012 Herman Miller acquired an Asian company named POSH. This enabled the business to increase efficiency and serve the Asian market by distributing their chairs not only in China but also throughout Asia.
Is Herman Miller still alive?
Herman Miller is not still alive; he died 42 years ago in 1890. However, the legend behind Herman Miller Company, D.J. Pree died in 1993.
D. J. Pree was Herman Miller’s Son in Law. Without him, the name of Herman Miller would not be as famous as it is today. Herman Miller & D. J. Pree left behind one of the most successful and long-lasting companies in history.
Other Things to Know:
- D.J. Pree was the first president of Herman Miller.
- Herman Miller was previously known as Star Furniture Company, and from that, it was renamed to Michigan Star Furniture Company before D. J. Pree’s father in law, Herman Miller, bought the company.
- As of today, the Market Value / Mkt Cap Herman Miller is around 2.169 Billion U.S.D.
There you go! Herman Miller chairs are made in the U.S., China, and the U.K. From there, their chairs are distributed throughout Asia, Europe and America.
To most people, Herman Miller is not just a furniture brand; it is an emotion. Most people who use Herman Miller chairs develop strong brand preference and loyalty for the company.
Along the journey of Herman Miller, they were able to create a good image in the mind of their customers by providing durable and sophisticated chairs over the years. For this reason, customers are always willing to pay a higher price for their office chairs.