As we all know, that genuine leather sofa won’t peel easily, but bonded leather sofa does. Your bonded leather sofa can start peeling anytime due to factors like poor finishing, aging, or rough chemical treatment. So, it’s crucial to repair bonded leather from peeling before it’s too late.
Here is the step-by-step process to repair a peeling bonded leather sofa:
- Remove the chipping pieces
- Smooth out the surface
- Seal edges using matte clear coat
- Color the surface using Color Spray
- Finally, coat the surface using Leather coat
It appears to be a straightforward procedure. However, each of these stages demands considerable time and work. Take the time to read through each step and use the supplied recommendations to repair the peeled bonded leather sofa.
It’s a hassle to deal with a peeling leather couch when it happens to you. In this article, I will guide you on how to repair bonded leather sofa peeling.
- Sand Paper: The sandpaper will be needed to smooth the peeled surface. So the clear coating and clear spray repair the peeled place completely. You will not be able to differentiate the spot. You can buy them from nearby stores or online.
- Matte Clear Spray: This clear spray is essential for repairing sofa peeling. Once you start peeling, you will be able to peel off the entire couch. But if you peel off the chipping pieces and apply this spray, it will make the peeled surface edges hard. And the surface will not peel again.
- Color Spray: This will help to match the color of the sofa. As the color became discolored due to using sandpaper. So, using this will regain the sofa color. And the peeled surface will not be visible. Here is a decent color spray I can recommend you to use.
- Leather Sealant: You need to seal the peeled spot and make it look like no damage happened. So, for the final touch, you need a leather sealant. This will give firmness to the peeled spot and never peel off again. Check out my recommended leather sealant here.
- Leather Shine: After repairing the whole thing. You need to make it glow like the rest of the sofa. Using the Leather shine will make it shine like the rest of the sofa. I have found an inexpensive Leather Shining product on Amazon. You can check it on Amazon by clicking here.
Step 1: Clear The Surface:
Before starting to fix the surface, you need to clear the surface. If there is dirt on the surface, then the repair will not be effective.
Next, you will chip off the loose pieces of the leather. Remember if you start peeling you can peel off the entire sofa. So, you should only peel or chip off the loose pieces.
Next, to clean the surface, you should use matte clear spray. You should not use the spray on the entire sofa. Just spray on the peeled-off surface.
This way, the edges of the surface will harden, and the sofa will not peel further. After using it, you should let the spray dry out.
Step 2: Make The Rough Surface Smooth:
In this second step, you would need to use matte clear spray and leave the surface to dry out. Now you will see the surface again. If the surface is smooth, then it’s good for you.
But if the surface looks rough, then you need to smooth it out. You can smooth it out in many ways. But the easiest way is to use sandpaper.
Rub the rough surface using the sandpaper to make it smooth. But you should be very careful while using the sandpaper.
You should not use heavy force while smoothing out. You should just gently use the sandpaper to make the surface smooth.
After smoothing the surface you should again use the clear spray. And let the surface dry out for a few minutes.
Step 3: Coloring The Peeled Surface:
Next thing you need to do is color the peeled-off place. As the surface has discolored due to using sandpaper it needs to be re-colored. Some precautions should be followed while coloring.
Firstly, You should spray the color gently. Don’t rush while spraying. You should start from the edges then move towards the center.
Next, You should let the spray dry out and when it dries out, apply the spray again. This way, the color of the peeled-off surface will match the sofa.
Step 4: Coat The Peeled Surface:
Next, You need to use a sealant to coat the peeled surface. The sealant will make the surface hard and it will not peel-off in the future.
You should use leather coat sealant spray. Spray on the entire surface where there was damage.
Let the spray dry. Now see if you can peel the surface. You will not be able to peel the surface. It is completely repaired.
Step 5: Condense The Leather:
Finally, You need to make the leather clear and shiny. For this reason, you can use the leather shine spray mentioned in the materials section.
You should spray the leather-shine product on the repaired surface and also around the edges of the surface.
In this way, the repaired surface will blend in with the rest of the sofa. After you have done this step, the bonded leather sofa peeling will be completely repaired.
If you have followed all the steps in the mentioned way, I can assure you that the sofa peeling will be repaired. You won’t be able to spot the difference. The sofa will be good as new.
How to Stop Faux Leather From Peeling?
Using a liquid leather spray is the greatest way to prevent the leather from peeling and splitting on specific accessories, such as a leather bag.
You can apply the following steps to stop the faux leather from peeling,
- Soften the faux leather’s surface by wiping it off with a damp towel and a mild detergent.
- Dry with a lint free cloth.
- Apply a small amount of liquid leather to cracks and peels.
Can You Repair Any Leather Sofa Peeling?
You can certainly repair your leather sofa peeling. For minimal peeling and a quick cure, use leather recoloring balm to the affected area to hide the problem. Use a sponge to apply it, let it dry, and then repeat as necessary.
Why Is My Leather Couch Peeling?
Real leather is made from animal skin, and as such, it must be cared for and kept moist at all times. Leather can peel due to various reasons such as poor finishing, aging, or rough chemical treatment.
If left to dry out, it will split and peel. When cleaning leather with products that contain solvents or chemicals, you run the risk of the leather peeling off.
If you have read the whole article now, you can stop your leather from peeling. And also, you can repair your peeled-off leather sofa.
Now you don’t need to change your sofa because a specific part peeled off. You can always repair it and make it look shiny and new. I hope you enjoyed reading the article.