There remains unsolvable debate about choosing between two extraordinary chairs, Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Gesture. Both the Chairs come with great adjustments and offer the best comfort. But which one will be better for you?
The main difference between Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Gesture is that the headrest and seat depth is missing in Aeron. Moreover, Steelcase Gesture is cheaper than Aeron. However, the build quality is much better in Aeron.
In order to minimize your hassle, I have gathered all the information you need on Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Gesture so that you can choose the appropriate one for you.
Preferences can be different; as a result, the perfect Chair for each person can be different. I suggest you go through the whole article before coming to any conclusion.
Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Herman Miller Aeron, undoubtedly, is one of the expensive chairs in the market, which is justifiable because of its USA premium quality components. It has an exceptionally perfect design and advanced functionality.
The ergonomic features in Herman Miller Aeron Chairs, including long & comfortable armrest, height adjustments, proper neck support, and thick lumber support, ensure the best sitting position.
Along with all these amazing features, you will find it comfortable because of the mesh material in the seat.
The build quality of the Herman Miller Aeron Chair is up to the mark and comes with a 12-years warranty.
Herman Miller Aeron Chairs come in three different sizes. Here is an overview of them.
|Features||Size A â€“ Small||Size B â€“ Medium||Size C â€“ Large|
|Chair Height||38.5 inches||41 inches||43 inches|
|Chair Width||26 inches||27 inches||28.25 inches|
|Chair Depth||16 inches||16.75 inches||18.5 inches|
|Seat Height||19 inches||20.5 inches||20.5 inches|
|Chairâ€™s Weight||40 lbs.||41 lbs.||43 lbs.|
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs.||350 lbs.||350 lbs.|
Pros Of Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Let us dig deeper and look into all the benefits the Herman Miller Aeron Chairs can offer.
- Better Build Quality: The Herman Miller Aeron Chair has better build quality than most other chairs in the market.
- 3D Armrests: The Herman Miller Aeron Chair has an amazing armrest with three-way adjustments. The armrest can be adjusted with the preferred height, depth, and angle adjustments.
- Comfortable Arm Caps: The arm caps are well-padded, soft, and comfortable for resting your arms.
- Advance Tilting Mechanism: The recline function of the Chair include Synchro-Tilt and Knee Tilt Mechanism; it also has multiple locking positions.
- Offers Forward-Tilt Mechanism: Along with the recline functions, the Chair comes with a forward seat tilt option.
- Superior Lumbar Support: The Herman Miller Aeron Chair comes with great lumbar support, and you can choose from different lumber support options. The Adjustable PostureFit SL pads ensure the best lumbar support and stabilize your spine base.
- Available in Different Sizes: The Herman Miller Aeron Chair comes in three different sizes so that you can choose the appropriate one for you. That is, they are comfortable for a range of users.
- Fully preassembled: When the Herman Miller Aeron Chair is delivered at your footstep, you find it completely assembled.
- Great Aftersale Service: If you find any defects with the Chair or its components, the company will take full responsibility to replace it. Also, if you find the Chair unsuitable for you, you have nothing to worry about because you can receive 30 days refund option.
Recommended Article: IKEA Markus VS. Herman Miller Aeron: Whatâ€™s The Difference?
Cons Of Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Just like any other good thing, Herman Miller Aeron Chairs carry some drawbacks. Without any further ado, let us check them out.
- The Armrests do not come with width adjustments.
- The seat depth of the Herman Miller Aeron Chair cannot be adjusted.
- Although the seat material is mesh, which makes the chair comfortable to sit in, the Chairâ€™s plastic frame makes it uncomfortable to recline.
- The Herman Miller Aeron Chair is extremely pricy; starting from $995, it can cost you up to $2000.
Steelcase Gesture Chair
With the blessings of technology, Steelcase Gesture Chair comes with numerous advanced features. Not only does it come with 360-degree adjustable armrests, but also 3D LiveBack Technology that holds your natural posture & contours it accordingly.
Unlike Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Gesture Chair comes with a great headrest that can be adjusted with height adjustments and backward movements. You can also rotate it up to a 90-degree angle.
The Chair also has a well-adjustable seat and armrests, along with an excellent headrest. Overall, the Steelcase Gesture Chair provides you with the ultimate comfort you need for a long-time sitting position.
Let me share a table to display an overview of the Steelcase Gesture Chair;
|Chair Height||39.25 inches â€“ 44.25 inches|
|Chair Depth||21 inches â€“ 23.63 inches|
|Chair Width||22.38 inches â€“ 34.63 inches|
|Seat Height||16 inches â€“ 21 inches|
|Chairâ€™s Weight||78 lbs.|
|Weight Capacity||400 lbs.|
Pros Of Steelcase Gesture Chair
Now let us discuss all the benefits a Steelcase Gesture Chair offers for the perfect sitting arrangement.
- Adjustable Headrest: The headrest not only moves lengthwise & widthwise, but you can also rotate it up to a 90-degree angle.
- Highly Adjustable Seat Depth & Height: The seat depth of the Steelcase Gesture Chair can be adjusted up to a 3-inches range; just by pulling and pushing it back and forth, you can adjust it according to your preferences. Also, you can adjust the seat height from 15.5 inches â€“ 20.5 inches
- 360-degree Armrest: The well-adjustable armrest can be pivoted up to a 30-degree angle. Along with it, the armrests can be adjusted as per height so that your upper body and arms stay perfectly aligned.
- Good For Posture: The Steelcase Gesture Chair comes with LiveBack Technology that contours your body and holds the natural posture for a longer period of time.
- Enough Weight Capacity: The weight capacity of this Chair is 400 pounds which is much higher than usual chairs.
- Comfortable for Long Hours Use: The well-padded and soft cushions ensure that you are sitting in a comfortable position for a longer period of time.
Recommended Article: Steelcase Leap Vs. Gesture: Which One Is Better?
Cons Of Steelcase Gesture Chair
Unlike any other good chair, Steelcase Gesture Chair also has some drawbacks. They are as follows:
- Steelcase Gesture Chair is a costly chair. The pricing is not competitive, and it can be unaffordable to many.
- The backrest height adjustment is absent in Steelcase Gesture Chair.
- The recline feature does not curve your back when you change your sitting position; instead, you have to get up and let the Chair have some space to hold the position.
- The Steelcase Gesture Chair is much heavier than any other ordinary office chair.
Comparison Between Herman Miller Aeron And Steelcase Gesture
Herman Miller Aeron
When it comes to ergonomic features, hardly any chairs can beat Herman Miller Aeron Chairs. The Chair provides three different sizes (Size: A, B, & C) to make sure the Chair becomes suitable for all range of users.
Starting with PostureFit SL back support technology for enhancing more active posture and reducing muscle fatigue to eight zones of varying tension within the back & seat to eliminate circulation-restricting pressure points makes your seating arrangement comfortable.
The gesture has a great ability to support your posture with its adjustable seat, back, and arms. Then again, the 3D LiveBack mechanism completely mimics the motion of your spine and contours your back, even when you move.
The armrests and the headrest are the best things you will get in the Steelcase Gesture Chair. You can move the armrests lengthwise and widthwise and rotate them inward and backward as well.
Steelcase gesture has the best armrest adjustments of most of the office chairs on the market.
That is, the headrest and armrests can be moved as per your preferences so that you can keep your neck, shoulders, and arm aligned.
Even when you use your smartphone, you can adjust the armrests accordingly, so maintain proper posture and eliminate the risk of any kind of body ache.
To be honest, Steelcase Gesture is the winner for me in terms of ergonomic adjustability.
Design & Comfort
Herman Miller Aeron
The Herman Miller Aeron comes with many ergonomic features to make the sitting arrangements comfortable. Although it has adjustable lumbar & back support, the seat depth is fixed.
Yes, the Aeron Chairs comes in three different sizes, but many users complain the missing seat depth adjustments can be cumbersome, especially when you need to spend most of the time sitting.
The Herman Miller Aeron Chair seat is semi-contoured and has fewer sitting spots. Moreover, the headrest is missing in Aeron Chair.
However, the Herman Miller Aeron chairs provide your office with a sophisticated look and change the room’s overall atmosphere when it comes to appearance.
Steelcase is a comfortable and good-looking chair. The perfectly padded cushion and thicker seats make the sitting experience more comfortable.
Steelcase Gesture provides 3D LiveBack technology that mimics the spineâ€™s full range of motion, offering you all-time back support. It doesnâ€™t matter if you move your back, the backrest of the chair moves with you.
The Steelcase Gesture Chair not only helps you sit comfortably at a desk but also without the desk while working on your smartphone.
Even though both the chairs seem comfortable and look great in terms of appearance, the missing headrest and seat depth will cut some marks on Herman Millar Aeron and make the Steelcase Gesture Chair the winner.
Build Quality & Durability
Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller Aeron is the best in the market for build quality. The breathable mesh back enhance airflow and makes the seating arrangement comfortable even in hot weather.
The upholstery of the Herman Miller Aeron Chair is only available in leather. The frame and base are constructed with Matte, polished, or even powder-coated die-cast aluminum.
The arm pads are perfectly padded with polyurethane foam. The casters come in 2.5 inches and are suitable for both carpeted and hard floors. They are specialized in quite a roll technology.
All Steelcase chairs are originated in Mexico, are manufactured using high-quality materials. 100% polyester fabric is used, and high-quality plastic is used for the Chairâ€™s body.
Steelcase Gesture Chairs are manufactured with sturdy and top-notch material, ensuring durability.
The Chairâ€™s casters are suitable for carpeted and hard floors; however, the hard floor ones are a bit expensive.
In terms of build quality and durability, the Herman Miller Aeron Chair surely beats the Steelcase Gesture Chair.
Weight Capacity & Size
Herman Miller Aeron
Since the Herman Miller Aeron Chair comes in three different sizes, you have the option to choose from them. The dimensions of these Chairs are:
|Size A – Small||38.5″ H 26″ W 16″ D|
|Size B – Medium||41″ H 27″ W 16.75″ D|
|Size C – Large||43″ H 28.25″ W 18.5″ D|
As you can see, you can find these three different sizes of Aeron Chairs and choose any one as per your preference.
However, let me add that the weight capacity for the â€˜Smallâ€™ Aeron Chair (Size A) is 300 lbs. The other two (Sizes B & C) have 350 lbs weight capacity.
The Steelcase Gesture comes in a dimension of 44.5″ H x 29.05″ W x 23.63″ D, which is bigger and broader than the large size Herman Miller Aeron Chair. In addition to that, the Steelcase Gesture Chair has a maximum weight capacity of 400lbs.
The clear winner in this category is Steelcase Gesture.
Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller Aeron Chairs comes in three different sizes, and each comes at different prices. Moreover, when you add upgraded features, it can cost you even more. Starting from $955, it can cost you up to $2,000.
I suggest you check the current price from its official website. Although, I got a $1000 Aeron Chair deal on Amazon, with the same option costing $1645 on Herman Miller’s Website. You can check it by clicking here.
Steelcase Gesture is also an expensive Chair and can cost you up to $1,500, with a headrest. However, you can buy one without a headrest, and then it will cost you less.
I have found a better Steelcase Gesture deal on Amazon, currently costing $1256. If you are interested, you can check it out here.
When the prices are compared, I guess Steelcase is the winner. You might say that a $955 Aeron chair can cost less, but trust me, you will not be happy with the adjustments.
Warranty And Return Policy
Both Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Gesture come with a 12-years manufacturing warranty policy.
However, it comes to return policy, Herman Miller Aeron gives a 3-days with the receipt refund policy, and Steelcase Gesture gives a 14-day money-back guarantee.
However, you do not have to worry about disassembling the product, just keep the original packaging and keep the product just the way it was delivered.
Since all other things are constant, a 14-day money return guarantee makes Steelcase a winner.
Is The Herman Miller Aeron Better Than The Steelcase Gesture?
Although both the Chairs are quite expensive and come with the great build quality, I think Steelcase Gesture has more to offer than Herman Miller Aeron.
More ergonomic features, along with an attachable headrest and adjustable seat depth, make the Steelcase Gesture Chair more preferable. The Steelcase Gesture is also bigger and broader in size; moreover, it has more weight capacity than Aeron.
Additionally, the Steelcase Gesture costs less than Herman Miller Aeron but has the same warranty period.Â Â
Before you go, take a look at our article “Which Herman Miller Chair Should I buy?“. This will help you further make your decision.
Also, If you are into Steelcase chairs, then you can checkout this article “Which Steelcase Chair Is The Best?”