We all want flooring that is more rigid, durable, and easy to clean. Vinyl Plank Flooring is one of them. They carry loads of advantages and make your life convenient. However, people are still confused about using office chairs on Vinyl Plank Floors.
So, Can you use an Office Chair on Vinyl Plank Flooring? Using an Office Chair on top of your Vinyl Plank Flooring is not recommended. Rather than putting the chair on top of it, you can take some precautionary steps like installing a chair mat using non-slip pads, felt pads, or gentler caster wheels.
In this article, first, I will be providing you with an overall idea about Vinyl Plank Flooring and mention its benefits and drawbacks. Then, I will be sharing various information about protecting your Vinyl Plank Flooring from a rolling office chair.
Lastly, I will mention protecting the Vinyl Plank Flooring from office chairs or other appliances.
What Is Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Vinyl Plank Flooring is a tile-like plastic material that mimics hardwood floors and offers an elegant look to any house within a good budget.
The current popular Vinyl Plank Flooring is also sometimes referred to as Luxury Vinyl Tile or simply Luxury Vinyl Plank. The Vinyl Plank Flooring comes in large-sized planks or tiles that are more durable and robust than other floorings.
They have increased density and durability. You can easily install them, and most importantly, they are pretty low maintenance.
What Are The Advantages Of Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Without any further ado, let me list down all the advantages of Vinyl Plank Flooring;
- It is water-resistance and, most of the time, fully waterproof.
- Vinyl Plank Flooring is suitable for mudroom flooring.
- Unlike hardwood floors, Vinyl Plank Flooring is scratch-resistance.
- The Flooring does not absorb odors and stays odorless for a long time.
- The Vinyl Plank Flooring is suitable if you have pets.
- They are easy to maintain and do not require expensive products to clean.
- Vinyl Plank Flooring can duplicate any other flooring type as they can be found in various colors and patterns.
- Vinyl Plank Flooring is affordable for a large group of people
- Vinyl Plank is durable and lasts for many years.
- Most of the time, the Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime warranty.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Vinyl Plank Flooring?
There are a few disadvantages of Vinyl Plank Flooring, including;
- You might notice discoloration or damages caused by the sun on your Vinyl Plank Flooring.
- Something hard or sharp can dent your favorite Vinyl Plank Flooring.
- Repairing Vinyl Plank Flooring is hardly possible.
- The resale value of Vinyl Plank is way lower than other materials.
Will An Office Chair Ruin Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Rolling office chairs can ruin vinyl plank flooring despite having a protective layer that resists any kind of scratches, stains, or scuffs. Over time, rolling office chairs on vinyl plank flooring leave scratches and marks.
Rolling office chairs can also leave dents on your Vinyl Plank Flooring. When pressure is applied to the flooring, the protective layer might come off and cause damage to your floor.
Let me tell you, repairing the Vinyl Plank Flooring is rarely possible; most of the time, you need to install a new one. However, you can definitely protect your Vinyl Plank Flooring with proper precautions.
How Do You Protect A Vinyl Floor From An Office Chair?
The constant rolling of your office chair can cause damage to any kind of flooring, so you need to take the necessary steps to protect the flooring at any cost.
Even the chairs without wheels can also damage your floor; that is, precautionary steps are mandatory.
Things you can do to protect your Vinyl Floor from an Office Chair;
1. Install A Chair Mat
Chair Mats are mandatory for any office environment because using a chair mat is a great way to protect any flooring from the continuous wear and tear of the office chair.
Do you need a chair mat for vinyl plank flooring? Yes, regardless of the flooring type, I would highly recommend you install a chair mat for the ultimate protection of the floor. Chair mats are extremely necessary.
For Vinyl flooring, I recommend you use any thicker chair mat to provide a steady surface for your chair to roll effortlessly. You can use Polyvinyl Chloride, which will be suitable for heavy-duty.
Chair mats for hard floors work really well on vinyl plank floors. Check out our recommended chair mats by clicking here.
- Chair Mat Materials: 11 Answers You Should Know
- How To Keep Chair Mat From Sliding On Hardwood Floors?
2. Felt Chair Caster
Felt Chair Caster is a popular solution to protect the Vinyl Plank Floors. They provide the assurance that your floor is protected from any kind of dent or scratches.
They are not expensive, and the installation process is pretty straightforward. Felt Chair Caster is durable and has the ability to withstand heavyweight.
3. Use Office Rugs
The soft and solid rug will provide the flooring from not only the rolling chairs but will also minimize any kind of damages from the surrounding things.
You can simply place an office rug in your desired place, and the best part is they are easy to clean. It also accentuates the overall office environment.
Recommended Article: Rug Vs. Chair Mat Vs. Carpet: What’s The Difference?
4. Use Rollerblade-Style Wheels
Rollerblade-style wheels are no ordinary wheels; they cover less surface area and carry great longevity.
They reduce the frictional effect and roll gently on the Vinyl Plank Floors. Check out my favorite Rollerblade-Style Wheel by clicking here.
5. Use Furniture Felt Pads Or Glides
An effective way to protect your Vinyl Plank Flooring is to use furniture pads or gliders. Simply attach the felt pads on the chairs’ legs, and it will do its work.
However, it would help to keep the area free from tiny particles and dirt to keep it scratch-free.
6. Use Non-Slip Rubber Pads
Non-slip Rubber Pads are great when using a carpet or a rug. They will hold the rug or carpet in its place and reduce the floor’s chances of hampering the floor.
7. Cover Your Hard Or Damaged Caster With Duct Tape Or Cloths (Temporary Solution)
Most of the time, the caster can get damaged after a long time of use, or the casters can be so hard that they can cause severe damage to the floors.
At that time, as a temporary solution, you can cover the casters with duct tape or soft cloths, as a temporary solution.
I would not recommend you to use it for such a long time; it will do nothing better then.
8. Avoid Dragging Your Office Chair
I highly recommend you not to drag the office chair or any other furniture on top of your Vinyl Plank Floor as it will cause serious damage, and you might need to replace the flooring.
What Should You Not Use On Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Since I have been providing you with ideas of what you should do to protect the Vinyl Plank Flooring, I think you also deserve to know what things you should avoid using on Vinyl Plank Flooring.
List of things you should avoid with Vinyl Plank Flooring;
- Avoid using any kind of floor wax or polish on your Vinyl Floors.
- When you rub the vinyl flooring on a regular basis, you will do nothing well but harm the floor.
- Do not use highly abusive scrubbers; try to use a soft mop that is gentle towards your flooring.
- Do not leave the Vinyl Plank Flooring wet for a long time; sucking all the water after washing is mandatory.
- Harsh cleaners or chemicals are strictly forbidden.
- Using heavy chairs without installing a Chair mat is also forbidden.
- Do not drag any heavy furniture on top of the Vinyl Plank Flooring.
Can You Put Appliances On Top Of Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Vinyl Plank Flooring is robust and has great durability; moreover, it can carry up to 500 pounds without scratching or damaging the floor.
Therefore, you can definitely put appliances on top of the Vinyl Plank Flooring without even concerning about the damages. But remember to put appliances that weigh less than 500 pounds.
Never drag them from one place to another; always pull them up and then switch the places.
Vinyl Plank Flooring is undoubtedly a good option as they are not only durable but also pretty easy to maintain. But if they go through some damage, then repairing them would not be a good option.
So, don’t use your rolling office chairs directly on vinyl plank floors.
Take necessary precautionary steps to make sure they last longer and stay the same for a long time.